Skip to Content

Outbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne


  • Loading...

View All

Programs : Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Application for Study Abroad
Study Abroad Catalogue Listed, Any country (Outgoing Program)
Program Terms: Sem 1 & Sem 2,
Sem 2 & Sem 1,
Semester 1,
Semester 2
Follow instructions on the page to apply for this study abroad program.
Restrictions: UoM applicants only
Dates / Deadlines:
There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Fact Sheet:
Program Type:
Study Abroad
Agreement Type:
Graduate, Undergraduate
Program Description:

How to apply for your Study Abroad

'Study Abroad' is the term given to overseas study that students can take outside the Global Mobility Exchange Program. It means paying tuition fees overseas directly to the host institution or provider of the program.

Students who will enrol in a University of Melbourne overseas subject (UMOS) which appears in our Handbook and contains an overseas component (e.g.: The Graeco-Roman City in Antiquity, clinical placements, internships, and travelling studios) should register from here, but only for UMOS.  Study abroad students read below.

The basic steps involved to study overseas for a semester or year as a fee-paying Study Abroad student are:

1. Choose an institution

Study Abroad students usually go to institutions which are not University of Melbourne exchange partners. Students may now only study at approved overseas institutions from the Study Abroad Catalogue (Dec 17).xlsx (18KB xlsx). If you identify an institution which is not avalilable either through the Exchange program or the Study Abroad Catalogue which offers studies which are unique and otherwise unavilable at the University of Melbourne or one of our partner institutions, you may submit a petition to have it considered in the Catalogue.

Petition to include an Institution to the Study Abroad Catalogue
Download this form (83KB pdf), complete it in full, scan it and forward to us using the steps below.

  1. Adding an Institution to the Study Abroad Catalogue
  2. ?Navigate to
  3. Under ‘Current Students’ select ‘Submit an enquiry'
  4. Label your enquiry as ‘Study Abroad Catalogue Petition’ and include your Student ID under ‘Enquiry Title’
  5. Under ‘Topic’ select ‘Overseas Study’ and then click the box again to select ‘Help with my application’  Then submit your message. Subject line should identify 'study abroad catalogue petition'.

Institutions in high-risk locations as designated by DFAT as Reconsider need to travel or Do not travel will not be approved.

Old Delhi with Red Fort

Calendar Period of Overseas Study Application Due Dates
Semester 2, 2018 Sunday, 28 May, 2018 tbc
Semester 1. 2019 TBC

3. Seek Stop 1 approval

Stop 1 can provide advice about going on Study Abroad. You must meet the same eligibility criteria for Study Abroad as for Exchange, with the exception that students completing a semester of study abroad may vary their workload more over a semester and Study Abroad students do not need to attend a myWorld First Step Session. It is, however, recommended that you attend as you will find it does provide useful information.  To get approval you must click the "Apply now" button above and complete the form.  This button will only be visible during the application availability dates. 

Preparing your Study Plan

To get approval for the subjects you would like to do overseas, download and follow the instructions for the Global Mobility Study Planner.  When you seek approval for subjects, make sure you upload a copy of your petition approval email into the Study Planner.

Credit for study abroad is granted upon presenting an original academic transcript to Stop 1 from your study abroad institution. Also be prepared to bring back your overseas work to be reassessed at the University of Melbourne, should this be deemed necessary.

4. Apply for a place

If your Study Plan is approved by Stop 1, apply directly to the host institution for entry. Some institutions may have an online application process, if not, you will have to request the appropriate forms be sent to you.


  • to apply by the host institution due date for applications;
  • to provide all the documentation requested, such as transcripts, academic references;
  • you may have to prove that you have sufficient funds to support you while living there; and
  • you will probably have to pay international student fees to this institution.

Note: The terms used to describe study abroad differ around the world. The following are common: 'free-mover', 'non-degree student', 'short-term student', 'visiting student', but there will invariably be others.

Spires of Oxford

5. Funding

After completing the application you will automatically be considered for a Melbourne Global Scholars Award. Also consider applying for a Melbourne Global Mobility Scholarship in Language Study or one of the many scholarships available from other bodies. You can apply for most scholarships without being formally accepted by the study abroad institution.

For more information about possible scholarships see:

6. Enrolling and Re-enrolling for Study Abroad

If your application to study at the overseas institution is accepted, you need to request Stop 1 to enrol you in placeholder subjects with the prefix 'STDY'.  These do not generate any tuition fees at the University of Melbourne but do indicate that you are away studying abroad. They also note what credit it was agreed you would be awarded for that study when you return with an official transcript from the host institution, assuming you passed the subject(s).

You should ensure that you change your enrolment before you leave Australia to do your study overseas. If it is time to re-enrol before your study abroad period overseas has started, follow the instructions on the exchange re-enrolment page. If you are overseas during re-enrolment time, follow the exchange instructions for re-enrolling while overseas.

Note: when you enrol at the host institution, if you have the option of enrolling in subjects which will have results which are graded or simply pass/fail, you MUST choose to be enrolled in the subject(s) for graded results. This has implications for point 8 below.

7. Pre-departure arrangements

Remember to arrange a flight, visa, and accommodation at or near your host institution. Students travelling on "university business", in other words for credit or to meet a hurdle requirement, are eligible to register for the University's free travel insurance. Please register before you leave the country.

8. Your transcript and results when you return

You must bring back a transcript with you from your time on study abroad or ask that it be sent back to your home address in Melbourne. The credit it was agreed you would receive from your time studying overseas cannot be awarded until an official transcript has been sighted by Stop 1. It assumes that you had the subjects approved and passed them.

Note: There is usually NO transfer of marks from your studies done on independent study abroad (the exception is for study done on study abroad for credit to an Honours year); only the credit load undertaken (12.5, 25 points etc) will be credited to your University of Melbourne degree. Speak to the relevant faculty or graduate school if you are concerned about the implications for future entry into Honours or graduate study.

University of San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador

Follow instructions on the page to apply for this study abroad program.